The goal is to build a small application which decodes a buffer with raw image data from the AXIOM Beta and converts it using the LodePNG library to create a viewable PNG image.
- Create a simple C/C++ console application using the development environment of your choice
- Add lodepng.c/cpp and lodepng.h from the LodePNG website to your project / Makefile / whatever you use
- Read image data from a RAW12 file (sample file: portrait-gainx2-offset2047-20ms-02.raw12, 4096x3072, 12bit, color sensor with bayer color filter array)
- Save one of the Bayer color channels (red, green1, green2 or blue) as a grayscale 8-bit PNG (2048x1536 Resolution) using the LodePNG library. This PNG should be view-able/compatible with any image-viewer that can display PNG.
- Bonus points if your application runs on the AXIOM Beta firmware in QEMU.
- Bonus points if you use an existing debayering method to recover a color image.
- RAW12: https://wiki.apertus.org/index.php/RAW12
- Bayer Pattern: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter
- 12bit conversion: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33768206/convert-2-bytes-into-12-bit-number
- 12bit conversion (SIMD not required): https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15443868/fastest-way-to-convert-12bit-image-to-16bit-image
- Processing RAW images in MATLAB (useful as overview; we are not asking for color-correct output)
- Debayering: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demosaicing
GSoC 2018 applicant code for review:
Note: Using or improving upon existing code is permitted but, in the event that code authored by someone else is used, the code's original author must be credited.
- @TofuLynx: https://github.com/TofuLynx/apertus-CppChallenge
- @supragyaraj: https://github.com/supragya/PiNG12RAW
- @nmdis1999: https://github.com/nmdis1999/Apertus-Qualification-Challenge
- @pranabendra1997: https://github.com/pranabendra/T782--C-Cpp-Challenge
- @simon: https://github.com/Symon97x/GoogleSummerOfCode.git
- @pv.anirudh: https://github.com/AnirudhPuligandla/ApertusChallenge
To get in touch with any mentor check the Mentor Contact List.