To apply for this task please complete this mandatory coding challenge together with your application: T872
Applications without matching coding challenge completed will not be considered.
To be able to provide special video data, e.g. RAW data or unusual color space, which is not supported by many video players or editors, so called frame server is used. Basically it is an application which provides video data through some virtual file, e.g. in AVI or MPEG format. Most approaches use FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) to intercept call to such a file and to provide data to the calling video player/editor.
Additionaly it has to be ensured that memory usage is low enough and performance acceptable. Next step would be a mechanism to provide proxy of the clips for not high-end machines. The focus of this task is to implement OpenCine module, which re-uses OCcore lib to provide video data through libfuse/Dokany as dummy AVI file.
- Create a frame server module using libfuse and attach OCcore as data provider
- Extend OCcore for providing consequent frames, so the video is playable in a video player
- Add user interface to control frame server settings, like frames per second (FPS) or de-Bayering processor
- Add Dokany, to be able to run frame server on Windows and adjust CMake scripts accordingly, for consistent build process without user intervention, like on Linux
-- VisualStudio 2017 and higher or QtCreator
-- Qt 5.10 and higher
-- optionally: GUI client for Git (e.g. GitKraken or SourceTree)
- **Linux** (e.g. LinuxMint 18.1)
-- Qt 5.10 and higher
-- OpenGL headers from freeglut3-dev package
-- optionally: GUI client for Git (e.g. GitKraken)
**Required programming skills:**
- C / C++ or similar language experience
- Basic understanding of image processing
**Difficulty level:** Medium
**Mentors:** Andrej, Supragya
- Open Cine Overview: https://www.apertus.org/opencine
- Wiki: https://wiki.apertus.org/index.php/OpenCine
- FUSE: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace
- libfuse: https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse
- Dokany: https://github.com/dokan-dev/dokany
- Frame server prototype (FUSE / AVI): https://github.com/BAndiT1983/OC_FrameServer/tree/dev
To get in touch with any mentor check the [[ https://www.apertus.org/GSoC-2019-Mentor-Contact-List | Mentor Contact List]].