To apply for this task please complete this mandatory coding challenge together with your application: T1227
Applications without matching coding challenge completed will not be considered.
Read our Google Summer of Code Overview page:
The axiom recorder software can record moving images from axiom cameras via either usb3 or ethernet. Currently in that software data is copied multiple times without need. Using the dma-buf subsystem memory copies between cpu and gpu data, aswell as external systems like vaapi or v4l2 can be avoided.
* Make the recorder use dmabufs where possible
* There are serveral directions that can be explored here, either using a low level framework like `libdrm` to create the buffers or using something like `vulkan` to allocate the buffers.
* After the recorder is made to use dmabuf, this can be used to implement a multitude of additional functionality very efficiently, like for example
* v4l2 output
* a obs plugin
* vaapi accelerated video encoding
* implement one of these
* Vulkan / GPU / Dmabuf Know-How
* Linux Know-How
To get in touch with any mentor check the Mentor Contact List.